Supervision in Career Development
Career Development is a wonderful field to work in. Practitioners can have a powerful impact on people’s ability to manage their life and career; colleagues tend to be heartfelt, generous and passionate about what they do; the underpinning theory and evidence is inspirational and encourages us to grow in our practice.
I know I made the right decision when choosing someone professional and highly experienced to help me develop to be the best Career Development Professional I can be. Her generosity is humbling.Lindsay Carr.MCDI. RCDP.
Then there are the challenges – how to sustain one’s own well-being and resilience in a world which often fails to understand and value our work; burn-out from constantly meeting the demands of others, targets and organisational requirements.
There is also the desire to be the best practitioner can be – to reflect on one’s own practice, avoid habits and incorporate new ideas; to accept being human and work through personal reactions to uphold ethical principles.
What is Supervision?
Supervision is a protected time and space for reflecting and developing your practice. I offer a supportive and confidential place where you can be honest about the challenges you experience, where we can work together to explore complex cases and generate ideas.
Nothing gives me greater pleasure than seeing a Career Practitioner gain clarity, confidence and creativity – to develop their practice, feel proud of their practice and develop their own career.
Sessions will be responsive and tailored to your needs with the focus agreed at the outset of each session. Examples of what we could work on include:
- Discussing challenges and exploring ways forward
- Feedback on recordings of your practice
- Role-playing aspects of practice
- Working through case-studies and generating solutions
- A listening and holding place when under stress
- Exploring new theory and evidence, how to integrate it into your practice
- Reviewing your career development to ensure you are where you need to be, fulfilling your potential and protecting your well-being
- Developing your Private Practice
The approach is characterised by:
- Developing a professional and ethical relationship that inspires trust
- Deep listening – bringing semi-conscious thoughts and solutions to light
- Incisive questions – creating the thinking space required to reflect, clarify and arrive at new insights
- Using engaging activities that create deep shifts in confidence and addressing limiting thought patterns
Time and Fees
I offer on-line, telephone and in person supervision (if local to Nottingham) – or a blend of all three. A typical session lasts 1 hour and the frequency will be directed by you. Once we have started working together, I also offer the option of highly focused 30-minute sessions:
- The initial “contracting” session (30 mins) where we’d discuss what you’d like to gain from the process and your preferred way of working is free. This would take place on-line or via telephone.
- 1 hour session – £95
- 30 minute session – £50
The rate includes support in between the sessions (e-mail check-ins, setting “homework” if requested) and business overheads such as personal liability insurance). There is no requirement to commit to a number of sessions and there is no cancellation fee if cancelled 12 hours in advance. The fee for late cancellations is £15.
I started working for the public sector as a “generic” careers adviser in the 1990’s, working with all ages and types of clients. I moved into training and research roles, became a Senior lecturer in Career Development, and since 2004 have run a private practice. I work internationally, delivering training, seeing private clients and offering supervision to a range of Career Development Professionals. I am qualified in both Executive and Career coaching (ILM, DCG) and have a Masters in Professional Development (coaching, mentoring and Supervision).
Please visit my website or Linkedin for details of professional qualifications and experience. I am a fellow of the Career Development Institute and adhere to their Professional Code of Ethics and Supervision guidelines.
Getting in Touch
If you’d like to arrange an initial call, please get in touch via the contact form: Contact Us